Friday, January 16, 2015

Act 6: Expose the Kids to Some Culture

Anyone with children knows that it takes courage to take your kids almost anywhere.  When they are little, it's the load of accessories that make it almost impossible to just pop out somewhere.  Between the diapers, the change of clothes, snacks, bottles, pacifiers, toys, etc. etc. etc. - every outing feels like you are heading out for a trek into the Himalayas.

As they get a little older, the physical load gets lighter, but the mental one grows.  People expect little babies to make a fuss, but the general public tends to frown upon small children who disturb the peace.  And I always refused to be one of those parents who took their kids where ever they felt like and inflicted their "colorful" behavior on the adult world.  No, I don't think it's adorable when my child disrupts everyone's dinner with songs from the kids show du jour sung at the top of their lungs.  Keeping them quiet is nearly impossible, and I just couldn't take the stress.

What that means is that I spent the better part of the last 11 years or so keeping the kids at home.  I occasionally ventured out to stuff on my own, but I never really dared to take The Boy or The Girl to anything cultural.

Until now!

When I found myself with an extra ticket to see Wicked at Durham Performing Arts Center, I initially asked a dear friend to go.  However, I let it slip to The Girl that I was going, and she almost lost her stuff.  She'd been listening to the soundtrack her whole life, and really wanted to see it.  I hesitated, smelling the potential for disaster, but...  since I'm in the business of being courageous these days, I changed my plans and said yes.  (I still owe you a night out KNay!)

To say it was a wonderful night is a monumental understatement!

Note the ruby slippers!
All week, The Girl insisted on me calling her "Elphie."  (I was "Glindy" - in case you were wondering.)  We listened to to the soundtrack while she followed along, reading the lyrics in The Grimmerie.  On the big day, she got all dolled up, and ready for a night at the theatre.

We narrowly avoided disaster when I forgot the tickets at home and had to double back. On Hwy 55.  During RTP rush hour.  Luckily,  we had a nice cushion of time.  Once we had the tickets safely in hand, we headed to dinner.

The Girl requested Greek food for dinner.  (Huh?)  So, we went to my favorite Greek restaurant.  She reminded me that this is the kind of place where you have to have manners, and she behaved
See?  Adorable!
beautifully.  Over dinner, she was so so animated and excited, every person in the place seemed to be commenting on how adorable she was.  (I'm biased, but now I have empirical evidence of her adorableness!!)    She even sang a little duet with one of the servers, and was rewarded with a pack of wiki stix.  I would come to call them the Wiki Stix of
Destiny, because they play a role in the night's adventure.  After a stop at the World's Smelliest Bathroom (The Girl's designation, not mine), it was time to go!

We made our way to the theatre, and arrived just in time to take a few photos, browse the playbill and settle in.  The Girl was a little nervous about the Time Dragon sitting atop the stage, and in her defense, that thing was a little scary!
The Girl and the Time Dragon

As the strains of the first song started, she let out a little gasp, and grabbed my hand.  I don't know which I watched more during those first few moments: the stage or the little girl next to me.  I've never loved another person as much as I loved her at that moment, sitting next to me just awash in joy.  It was a gift I shall always treasure.  During the entire first act, The Girl sang along (under her breath at a very appropriate volume) to all the songs.  She clung to my hand for the first 30 minutes or so out of excitement.  As Act 1 went on, she got a little fidgety and began to sculpt a flower from the Wiki Stix of Destiny.  She whispered to me that she was making it for Elphaba.  I gave her a little squeeze and went back to watching the show.

Act 1 ends with The Girl's favorite song: "Defying Gravity," and when the house lights came up for intermission, she was still clapping. The kind people around us smiled at her as we made our way out to the lobby.  (Apparently she wasn't singing as quietly as I thought, but they all seemed amused, rather than annoyed.) She showed me the flower she had made, tucked it into her little purse and grabbed my hand.  She had seen a photo of cupcakes in the program, and wanted to investigate.

We found ourselves waiting for the elevators down to the lobby with a very nice gentleman.  He commented on the The Girl's green bow, and asked what her favorite part of the show was.

"I like Elphaba," she whispered, suddenly shy.

"If you can keep a secret, I will tell you one," the gentleman replied.  The Girl nodded, and he whispered to her, "I'm Elphaba's daddy."

The Girl blinked at me and back at the gentleman.  She grabbed for her purse to pull out the flower she had made and asked to him if he would give the flower to her.  But he did better than that!

Mr. Bob gave us instructions on where to meet him after the show, and said that she could deliver the flower to Elphaba (Laurel Harris) in person!

After a purchase from the souvenir stand (a plush Time Dragon puppet, of course), we went back to our seats for Act 2.  It was wonderful, and she barely fidgeted at all.  During the final Glinda/Elphaba song, "For Good," she cuddled up next to me and took my hand again, singing along.  My proud mommy heart almost busted at that, but I managed to hold it together.  At the curtain call, she leapt out of her seat to give the two leading ladies a standing ovation.

The Wizard (John Davidson) and The Girl! 
We made our way down the stairs, and were excited to find The Wizard, collecting donations for Broadway Cares.  After a photo with The Wizard, The Girl started to waver.  She was feeling shy, she wanted to go home.  She was too afraid to meet Elphaba.  In the past, I would have pushed, cajoled and pretty much forced her to go - but the night had been so wonderful, I decided to relax and follow the child.  I helped her bundle up into her coat, and got ready to venture out into the night.

"You know, mommy, I'm not feeling so scared now," she said to me as I buttoned my coat.  "I think I'm ready to meet Elphaba."

Woo hoo!!

We headed down the secret hallway that the kind gentleman had directed us to, and found a small group of people waiting.  Occasionally a cast member would walk by on their way backstage after their collecting was finished.  Eventually our friend, Mr. Bob appeared and told the others how he had met The Girl at the elevator and about her sweet gift for his daughter.  We chatted for a bit, and then, Ms. Harris came from backstage.

Mr. Bob called The Girl up, and introduced her to his daughter.  The two ladies chatted for a moment, The Girl presented her gift, and we shared how much both of us enjoyed the show.  Ms. Harris invited us to step backstage for a photo, and then it was time to go home.

The Girl and I practically ran the whole way back to the car.  She was chattering away about all she'd seen and done, and I just grinned.  I couldn't have planned a better evening for us.

As I tucked her into bed, I told her that my favorite part of the night was her act of courage.  She was nervous about going back to meet Elphaba, but she overcame that.  I was so proud.

Her most memorable part of the night?  The World's Smelliest Bathroom.

I love that girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment