Saturday, January 24, 2015

Act 36: Adopt a Shelter Animal


My whole life, I've owned (been owned by?) cats.  I like their self-sufficiency and relative calm.  I always imagined having a dog would be like having an additional child - that slobbers on you, barks all the time, and ruins your outfit when it jumps up on you.  

But, since I'm into do courageous things and breaking out of my comfort zone, I decided I was going to get a dog.

Of course, I did my research.  A friend recommended the books of Cesar Milan, and so I spent a fair bit of time reading his website in preparation.  I made my shopping list:  kennel, leash, poop bags, etc.  I researched training classes.  I was finally ready to go pick out my dog.

I had been creeping on the Durham Animal Protection Society's list of adoptable dogs for quite some time.  APS is great because they have a professional who comes in to evaluate their dogs' temperament, strengths and weaknesses in order to match their dogs with the best homes.  This did a lot to put my mind at ease.   I knew I'd need one that was pretty chill, could stand being crated while I was at work, would enjoy going for walks, but not go berserk if he didn't get tons of exercise, and was good with kids.  I didn't have the first clue on how to train puppy, so the dog would have to be at least two. 

After my research was done, I went one afternoon to APS to pick out my dog.  t I must have walked up and down the aisle between the kennels for 30 or so minutes.  The information provided was helpful, but it was A LOT to take in!  In the end, I interviewed three different dogs and settled on Gena - a 3 year old Beagle mix.  She was lovely, sweet, docile, and affectionate.  I hesitated about putting down a deposit without Gena meeting The Boy and The Girl, so I made plans to bring them the following day.

I couldn't wait to get home to tell them!

I picked them up after school that day and announced,  "Your wish has finally come true!  We are going to the animal shelter to pick out a pet!"

They were ecstatic!   "We are getting kittens!?  Really!?"

Um... well...  

"Yes!  Yes we are."

How could I argue with them when they were so very excited?  So, that's how my dog ended up being two kittens.



Mittens and Blossom await their dinner.

I still haven't given up on getting a dog.  




  


No comments:

Post a Comment