Friday, August 21, 2015

Act 28: Try Square Dancing

My friends Diane and Melissa and I went to a square dance earlier this year.  It was in a tiny little space - way too small for what we were trying to do, and the crowd was - how to say this? - not our peer group.  I had been Contra Dancing many, many, many years ago, and so I suggested to Diane that we give it a try.  There is a group - Triangle Country Dancers - who host regular dances throughout the area.  We found a date that worked for us and went to check it out.



According to Wikipedia, Contra dancing is "similar to square dancing, except instead of except instead of the square formation, it is danced in lines of couples, with every other couple facing up or down the hall."  The music is typically folksy.  The band for this dance consisted of a fiddle, banjo, and upright bass.  There was a caller who laid out the steps of the dance - and directed the dancers throughout.



The nice thing about Contra is that there are only a few steps to learn for each dance, and you get to repeat them many, many times during the dance.  So, for the uncoordinated and choreographically challenged folk like me, you have a chance to actually master the steps... eventually.
Lessons helped with the learning curve!

We started the evening with a short lesson to acquaint us with the basic steps.  It seemed pretty straightforward, so when it was time to dance, Diane and I jumped right in.

The attendees of the dance were all ages!  There was a pretty significant number of 20-somethings whirling and twirling each other all over the place.  There was also a large number of retirees there cutting a rug.  And in between those was a bevy of newbies of all ages.  I grabbed a partner, and lined up for the first dance.
It took me a little while to get the hang of the steps - and it was truly a social dance.  Each time I'd get my bearings, it would be time to switch to a new partner.  Each new partner had a different level of energy and a different manner.  Some of them would sling me all over the place - adding all kinds of kicks and twirls and such.  It was definitely a lesson in going with the flow!  I also spent most of the first dance completely dizzy from all the twirling.  I loved it!!   The dancers were, to a person,  patient and understanding.  Any time I would mess up a step or get lost, there was someone there to gently direct me back on track.  And talk about a workout!  By the end of the first dance, I was dripping with sweat and out of breath.  (Mental note: next time, bring a water bottle!)




I learned how to lean back a bit when your partner swings you - and how to relax my death grip when I was holding on for dear life when my partner would swing me.  I learned that it was perfect acceptable to grin like an idiot when moving from partner to partner (like they could stop me!), and that if I wanted to dance every single dance - there were plenty of willing partners.  As Diane said, the whole atmosphere was playful.  These folks were out to have fun, and I'm happy to say we were right there with them.

This guy in green was so energetic!  
He also almost kicked me in the face.  (Not his fault - totally mine.)

I enjoyed myself immensely, but I think Diane has found her people - she could have Eliza Doolittled it and danced all night!  It was very uplifting to be around so many happy people, and I look forward to going back.  Heck - maybe eventually, I'll even let my partner dip me...  !






No comments:

Post a Comment