Thursday, April 2, 2015

Blessings of a Windy Day

All week I've been craving a Walk in the Woods.  I tried to sneak one in on Sunday, but my timing was off.  I got to do a little wandering, but today I was craving the whole deal.  I wanted to wander deep into the woods and lose myself for a little while.  With that in mind, I headed out to Lake Crabtree Park after work.
Lake Crabtree is one of my favorite parks in the Triangle for a few reasons.  First, it's relatively close to Chez Kaye and is right off I-40.  It's rarely crowded - at least when I've been there.  But the most compelling reason why I love this park is the lake itself.  There is something wonderful to me about being near the water.  Water and I have a complex relationship.  I love being near it, love being on it, beside it, around it, but I really do not like being IN it.  I love water, but I hate being wet.  I know.  It's a little weird.  But I digress.

Today when  I got there, I got turned around and ended up on the short trail.  It wasn't the Walk in the Woods I was hoping for, but it did give me the opportunity to spend some time reading and sketching at a picnic table by the water.  It was a perfect day.  It was about 70 degrees, sunny and clear, with a wonderful stiff breeze coming off the lake.  I was there around 4pm, so the sun was getting low in the sky.  It was glorious.
My photo doesn't do it justice.
That thing was SO COOL!
As I sat reading my book, I just felt so... happy.  In my immediate view, a gentleman was flying kites at the lake's edge.  He had a huge white tiger kite, and attached to that was a circular kite - about 5 feet in diameter.  I couldn't take my eyes off that thing as it undulated in the air.  I watched a dad with his two kids trying to go fishing, and said a little Thank you for this moment prayer.

I dove back into my book and was a little startled when a friendly voice called to me, "Hey!  Would you like to fly a kite?"  I looked up to see a kindly older gentleman heading my way.  I looked around to make sure he wasn't talking to someone standing behind me.  When I verified that he was talking to me, I enthusiastically replied, "Yes!  I really would!"

The gentleman's name was Scott.  He taught kite flying classes and workshops in the area and had a car FULL of gear.  He had come in to meet another kite-flying friend of his, Kip, so while they were rustling up their materials, he pulled out a simple two string kite for me to try.  I told him the only kite flying I had done was with The Boy's penguin kite that we bought at Target.  He assured me this would be a little bit different.

I started out on a 150 ft. line, and Scott showed me how to secure the grips while you rolled out the line.  I learned how to use a lark's head knot to secure the kite to the line, and finally how to launch the kite.  Basically, once it's in the air, if you want the kite to go left, you tug on the left line, to go right, tug on the right.  Sounded pretty simple.

Scott helped me launch the kite, and it was off.  The first time the kite took flight, I felt the lines tug hard in my hands.  It pulled me forward half a step, because I wasn't expecting the strength of the wind, but I quickly got my bearings.  I only brought the kite down twice before getting the hang of
the ebb and flow of the gales.  After a few moments of adjustment, it was just me and the lines in a playful game of tug o'war with the wind.  Scott commented that he'd only seen one other beginner handle a kite as well as I did - and she was a Kitty Hawk with steadier winds.  I was very pleased with myself.  I must have spent half an hour just watching the kite rise and fall with the winds.  I learned how to tug just right if it looked like she was going down, and I managed to keep her aloft most of that time.

After a few moments, Scott brought out a more advanced kite for me to try.  This one was sharp!  It
I tried to photograph Stingray, but
all you could see was the line.  So here
is a shot of me - enjoying the day.
was purple and blue and shaped like a stealth bomber.  It's name was Stingray.  We tied the lines to this new kite, and he showed me how to put my arms out straight in front of me and tug - hard - to launch it into the air.  Where the first kite was slow and easy, this one was zippy and exciting.  It wasn't long before I managed to spin in around once or twice and make it swoop down and back up again.  It was SO MUCH FUN!  After an hour of flying and chatting with Scott, it was time for me to call it a day.

As I was helping Scott pack up, he said, "I want you to take this one and fly it with your kids."  He handed Stingray to me.  I couldn't believe it!  He loaded me up with a line, straps, and all the stuff I would need sent me on my way.  I couldn't stop smiling the whole way home!

The entire experience was lovely - from the beautiful day, to the patience of an unexpected teacher, to the lovely gift.  I'm constantly amazed at the wonderful things that happen when I least expect it.

It really was a a surprise and a blessing.  It was,  as my friend Sarah called it: A God Moment.  An absolutely beautiful one!

No comments:

Post a Comment